Event Insurance

Policies by the hour, day, or week in 60 seconds.

The party’s about to start. Enter your email and get notified when event insurance is available in your area.

4.7/5 stars from 638 reviews on Trustpilot
Backed by the best

What is event insurance?

Special events insurance is a specific type of liability insurance that protects you against the risks associated with organizing or participating in a special event, including third-party bodily injury, property damage, and liquor liability. 

What does event insurance cover?

Any recipe for a great party is also a recipe for some serious risk.

Event insurance covers two main areas:

And heads up! Thimble policies do not currently cover event cancellation, but you can cancel your policy for a full refund until the minute it starts.

Event Liability

Coverage for bodily injury and property damage to a third party, like an attendee, vendor, or the venue itself. Includes legal fees and payments for damages.

Liquor Liability

Coverage for legal fees and damages incurred because of alcohol consumption at an event. This is included in your event policy if you’re not selling alcohol, as in BYOB or open bar events, but if you own a business that sells, serves, or distributes alcohol at events, you can easily add retail liquor liability coverage to your policy.

And heads up! Thimble policies do not currently cover event cancellation. Why? Because you can cancel your policy from Thimble for a full refund until the minute it starts, and event cancellation policies are typically much more expensive.

Who needs event insurance?

Anyone who likes to have a good time! But actually, event insurance is a necessity for any group of people coming together, including at:

  • Sporting Events
  • Art Shows
  • Conventions
  • Birthday Parties
  • Business Parties
  • Conferences
  • Banquets
  • Festivals
  • Comedy Shows
  • Farmers Markets
  • Fashion Shows
  • Rehearsal Dinners
  • Quinceañeras
  • Reunions
  • Dances
  • Trade Shows
  • Weddings
  • Wedding Rehearsals
  • Yoga Classes
  • Proms and Dances

Why do I need event insurance?

For starters, most venues will require you to show proof of event insurance to use their space. Beyond that basic requirement, large groups, alcohol, and rented spaces put your assets on the line; event insurance can protect you.

If you chose the menu and a guest has a serious allergy to fish, you could be on the hook (pun intended) if they end up in the hospital. If someone busts a move which in turn busts a window, you can expect the venue to pursue some money from you for the repair.

Say a guest is “overserved” and winds up injuring themselves or others once they’ve left the party. You could be hit with a mountain of problems way worse than any hangover.

Events mean risk, and risk means you need insurance.

How much does event insurance cost?

Every event is different, but the average cost of a one-day event insurance policy is about $200.¹ The cost of an event insurance policy with Thimble is based on just a few things: the kind of event, how many people will be there, where it’s being held, how long you need coverage, whether or not you are selling alcohol, and boom! You can get a policy in 60 seconds for events lasting up to 2 weeks.

Event Insurance FAQ

If I’m an event planner, what kind of insurance do I need?

Event insurance covers events, and business insurance covers your business, so if you’re in the business of events, you might need both. As an event planner, you should consider general liability and professional liability insurance to cover the day-to-day operations of your business, such as client consultations and venue walkthroughs. Then on the big day, an event you’ve been planning will also need its own event policy in order to cover risks during the run of show. Some event planners handle purchasing event insurance on behalf of their clients, but all event planners should consider the business insurance essential to protect their assets. Read more about the difference on our Event Planner Insurance page.

Do I need event insurance if I’m a vendor at an event, such as a caterer, DJ, or performer?

It depends. Essentially, event liability insurance protects the person or business organizing an event. If you’re a wedding planner, PR consultant, or production agency hosting an event on behalf of a client, you’ll likely need event insurance. The same applies for people putting on events themselves without a planner, as is often the case with weddings and family reunions.
If you’re just booked to play a set, serve hors d’oeuvres, or take photos at an event that is not your own, you could still be named in a lawsuit related to the event at which you’re working. Or, the event planner could require that you carry insurance and add the planner as an Additional Insured (more on that in a bit).

What’s the difference between event and special event insurance?

In the insurance industry, various insurers use various terms to describe the same coverages. While Thimble does not currently offer event cancellation coverage, the terms “event insurance” and “special event insurance” are interchangeable and refer to the types of insurance offered for events. To understand the difference between two policies, it’s important to focus less on the name and more on the fine print to learn what is covered.

What is an ACORD certificate, and why is it important?

An ACORD 25 Certificate of Insurance (COI) is the standard document that proves you’re insured, with all of the details like the types of liability coverage (general liability, professional liability, etc.) your policy limit, and the duration of your policy. This is typically the document you need to show your clients that you’re ready to get to work. With Thimble, you’ve got instant access to your COI after purchase and the ability to make and send unlimited copies to the people who need it.

What is an Additional Insured?

An Additional Insured is anyone who wants to be protected in connection to your CGL policy for claims arising from your actions. In many cases, this is the company or organization hiring you, because they want to ensure that if anything goes wrong while you’re working on their behalf, they will be defended and covered under your insurance.

How do I file an event insurance claim?

All claims are handled by Sedgwick. If you need to file an event liability claim, visit https://www.sedgwick.com/your-claim/assign-a-claim. Read more here.

¹ The Cost Guys. “Average Cost of Special Events Insurance.” https://thecostguys.com/finance/average-cost-of-special-events-insurance

People like you like Thimble.

4.7/5 stars from 638 reviews

Read more on Trustpilot

Fast & Easy

This is fast and easy and works great for me! I am a one man freelance landscaper and this gives me the ability to purchase insurance directly from my phone anytime and anywhere I need it.

Paul H.

Super easy to use! Though of everything

This app is beautiful and super easy to use! It’s super easy to get insurance for the weddings I shoot where the venues require insurance. I can just buy it on the app with 3 clicks and I’m done.

Lan Z.

Awesome Product

I love this idea ????!! I needed to have proof of liability to present my proposal; got it on the spot. I didn't win the bid but I didn't get stuck with costly insurance, either!!

Genna A.

Best insurance solution for small businesses.

I love the convenience of this insurance app, its the best thing since sliced bread????????

Marcus S.

So Easy!!! I LOVE IT

It was so easy, quick, and simple. The PDF package I received contained everything I needed. This was the best experience I've ever had obtaining insurance...thank you!!!

Alex Robertson

Great rate!

I was very impressed with your monthly rate on general liability coverage! Much less than 1/12 of everyone else's annual rate.

Thomas G.

Read more on Trustpilot
thimble spin logo

Quick-thinking insurance for fast-moving businesses.