Photographer & Videographer Business Insurance

Get an insurance policy by the hour, day, or month in 60 seconds.

photographer in studio

4.5/5 stars from 1756 reviews on Trustpilot

Featured in

Combined Shape

As a photography or videography professional, your goal is to frame and capture the perfect shot. But as a small business owner, you know that things aren’t always picture-perfect.

Working with clients exposes you to a certain amount of risk. So does working with equipment including costly cameras. With business insurance, photographers and videographers can protect their business with birds-eye precision.

Thimble’s Photography & Videography Business Insurance gives you instant, on-demand coverage when you need it, no matter how last-minute a photoshoot is.

Who is covered under a photo & video business insurance policy?

Photo & Video insurance from Thimble is customized to meet your needs. We cover the following professions and activities:

Not seeing your profession or activity? Search to get covered!

magnifying glass icon

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Quick thinking insurance for small businesses.

Types of insurance photo & video businesses need

Although you’re usually behind the camera, it doesn’t mean you can’t find yourself at the center of a legal drama.

If a client or other third party sues you, you may be responsible for expensive legal fees that could put your business in jeopardy and make you lose client work. Safeguard your business with the following types of insurance:

General Liability Insurance

General Liability Insurance

General liability insurance or “CGL” provides coverage against third-party claims for property damage, bodily injury, and personal and advertising injury. That means the everyday accidents that can happen on the job: slip and falls, flying tools, or spilling coffee on a customer’s laptop—you get the idea. CGL is one of the most basic types of insurance for small businesses.

Professional Liability Insurance illustration

Professional Liability Insurance

Professional liability insurance, also called errors & omissions (E&O) insurance, covers claims of financial loss as a result of providing—or failing to provide—professional services properly.

Business Equipment Protection

Business Equipment Protection

Business Equipment Protection is a type of first-party insurance that covers business equipment that you own, rent or borrow and is used in connection with your business. (Other insurance companies for small businesses call it inland marine insurance, but we like to keep things clear and simple.)

Commercial Property Insurance

Commercial Property Insurance

Commercial property insurance covers costs as a result of direct physical loss or damage to a building or its contents in situations like a fire or windstorm. Even your accounts receivable can be protected by commercial property coverage.

General liability insurance

General liability insurance is a must-have for any photography or videography business. It is designed to protect against accidents that cause bodily injury, property damage, and personal and advertising injury to third parties. It also provides the investigation and legal defense for those types of claims, which can include the following situations:


Non-employee, third-party bodily injury

During a photoshoot, someone trips over your equipment and is injured. They could sue you for the cost of their medical bills. (Note: If you have any employees, you’ll need separate workers’ compensation insurance to cover their injuries or illness while on the job.)

Property Damage Icon

Third-party property damage

While filming in someone’s home, you accidentally damage the property. You could be held liable and have to pay for the damage.

Personal Injury & Advertising icon

Personal and advertising injury

As a photographer, you take inspiration from other artists. But a competitor could think you’ve gone too far and sue you for copyright infringement or libelous advertisement.

Professional liability insurance

Professional liability insurance helps cover a client’s financial losses resulting from your advice or your failure to provide professional services properly. But how could your work in the photo and video space impact someone’s bank account? It’s more common that you might think!

For example, you’re a videographer creating a reel for an actress to be delivered to a casting agent by a certain deadline. Should you send a corrupt file and cause her to miss out on the job, she could sue you for the loss of potential income.

Since photos and videos often play a role in your clients’ business endeavors, it’s a good idea to carry professional liability insurance to cover instances where they believe their financial loss stems from your work.

Equipment Insurance

Cameras, lenses, tripods, and lights are expensive and vital equipment you need to do your job. While general liability insurance protects other people’s property, it doesn’t cover damage to your first-party property.

For that, you need camera equipment insurance, which we simply call, Business Equipment Protection. It protects your owned and borrowed property against accidental damage, loss, or theft when it’s on the go.

Thimble’s Business Equipment Protection provides blanket coverage for your equipment and gear (for each item under $2,500). For more expensive equipment you can choose an additional $2,500 in coverage.

Without the right camera equipment coverage, you could find yourself facing a costly and unexpected business expense.

Commercial property insurance

If you work out of a studio or office, you could benefit from another type of first-party property coverage called commercial property insurance. While Business Equipment Protection covers the gear you take with you, commercial property insurance covers your owned building you work in and your business property inside.

Depending on the specifics of your policy, commercial property insurance can cover:

  • Damage and vandalization of your building and its premises
  • Loss, theft, or damage of the valuable equipment inside and within 100 feet of the premises
  • Loss-of-use of your building and equipment (including lost revenue from closure)

If you lease a space, most landlords will require you to get insurance to cover the landlord’s liability interest and perhaps, some of its property interest. You should verify with your landlord. If you own the building, it’s that much more important to safeguard your real estate investment with the appropriate coverage.

Why choose Thimble for Photo & Video Business Insurance

Viewed through the right lens (and with the right insurance provider), taking out business insurance is simple and easy.

At Thimble, we’ve changed how business owners can purchase insurance. We’re making insurance work for you, not the other way around.

  • We bundle general liability insurance and professional liability insurance under specialized Photographer Insurance and Videographer Insurance coverages based on the needs of creative professionals.
  • We let you choose your coverage length. Purchase photography and videography insurance to cover a single afternoon of shooting, a few days, a week, or a full month. It’s all about your needs.
  • Know your cameras, lenses, and gear are protected without needing a line-itemed list in your policy details (a benefit of our blanket coverage through Business Equipment Protection).

Leave insurance to us and get back to what you do best—point, click, and make your clients look good.

Ready to get started? Just click “Get a Quote” or download the Thimble app, answer a few questions, and we’ll generate an instant quote. Click to purchase and your policy and Certificate of Insurance (COI) will be sent to your inbox. We’ll send you as many COIs as you need and when you need them. Now click away!


Get a Quote


Still have questions?


Quick-thinking insurance for fast-moving businesses.


Fewer questions. More options. Buy a policy online, in the app, or over the phone in minutes. Get to work before the other guys even call you back.


Any size. Every stage. Get coverage by the job, month, or year. Choose how you pay, then upgrade when business really takes off.


Total Control. Seamless edits. Modify, pause, or cancel instantly, whether work slows down or hiring picks up.

thimble spin logo

Get covered in minutes.
(Then get to work!)