Whether you’re a wedding or a nature photographer, these durable, compact, hard-working camera backpacks will help you haul your professional gear to your next shoot location.
The 7 best camera backpacks
February 25, 2022
Not all camera backpacks are created equal.
For professional photographers on the go, a great camera backpack is as essential as the gear stored inside of it. But, as you’ve probably learned by now, not all camera backpacks are created equal. We’ll break down some of the best camera backpacks on the market today and give you the info you need to find the one that’s just right for you.
Let’s unzip the list.
Get Greenlight in your inbox.
Join a community of 50,000+ small business owners and get insights and inspo every other week.
Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II Backpack
The Lowepro ProTactic BP 350 AW II Backpack is streamlined, convenient, and perfect for stashing in the overhead compartment of an airplane. This pack features movable Velcro dividers that can be customized to accommodate your gear setup.
The bag is big enough to accommodate a drone, while the rear-opening lid compartment is the perfect size for a 13” laptop. Meanwhile, there are a series of loops at the front of the pack for attaching your tripod and other favorite accessories. The result is a versatile, attractive-looking backpack that you’ll take everywhere with you.
- Offers enough space to pack your modular accessories
- Many convenient access options
- Full back access
- Hardshell section to protect your most delicate equipment
- At 26 x 12.5 x 40 cm, this bag is bulkier than other options
- Fitting a laptop into the bag can result in a tight squeeze
Gitzo Adventury 30L
The Gitzo Adventury 30L is the perfect professional camera bag for hiking. This rugged-looking bag will keep your camera kit safe, secure, and organized no matter where the shoot takes you.
Large enough to accommodate a pro DSLR camera with an attached lens, this camera backpack can contain up to four additional lenses, two camera bodies, and more. Thanks to the foldable and interchangeable dividers, the backpack can also be configured to contain a foldable drone with a remote control and accessories.
Need a normal backpack for a day in the town? Just remove the internal insert to turn this bag into an everyday backpack. The bag can accommodate a 13” laptop or tablet, while the multi-link straps are perfect for hanging your tripod.
- Compact, excellent design
- Ample space for all accessories
- Convenient roll top which allows you to compress the bag
- Boxy shape that may not be appealing for everyone
- Heavier than other camera bags
NOMATIC McKinnon Camera Pack
NOMATIC is known for creating industry-leading travel backpacks. The NOMATIC McKinnon Camera Pack was created in collaboration with outdoor photographer Peter McKinnon.
Aside from its streamlined design, what sets this bag apart is its ample compartments that allow you to bring everything along for the perfect shoot. Pack your entire camera setup and still have space for your clothing. Plus, the clothing compartment is separate from the camera compartment, which means you’ll never have to dig through your jeans to find that extra SD card.
Like most of the other camera backpacks on this list, this one contains customizable folding dividers that can be situated and customized according to your needs.
- Durable build and high-quality padding
- Intelligent camera compartment organization
- Smart harness system that accommodates a heavy load easily
- Size and capacity may be too large for anyone other than a professional photographer
USA GEAR DSLR Camera Backpack
The USA GEAR DSLR Camera Backpack is one of the largest bags on the list, measuring 18 x 12 x 18 inches and weighing just under 3 lbs. The camera backpack has compartments that are perfect for storing your cameras, camera bodies, lenses, cables, chargers, battery packs, and other accessories.
The interior of the bag is customizable and easy to alter to your specifications by removing, adding, or arranging the padded dividers based on the gear you need to bring with you.
The zippered side portion of the bag allows easy access to your camera in just seconds. This backpack also offers a padded zip compartment for your laptop (up to 15.6 inches) and reinforced soft pull zippers. Plus, at a price of under $100, it’s a great bargain!
- Divided compartments are intelligently designed and strong enough to hold heavy camera parts
- 3-year manufacturer warranty
- Included rain cover to protect camera gear from moisture
- Possibly too bulky for everyday use
- Lens holders are not universal and may be too small for some lenses
ESDDI Waterproof Camera Backpack
The ESDDI Waterproof Camera Backpack is a durable pack that will keep your camera equipment safe, secure, and dry — even on your wildest adventures. This backpack weighs in at 2.13 pounds and is about 32” x 15” in external dimensions. The large capacity fits 2 cameras, 6 lenses, 1 flash, a 14” laptop, and more.
- Includes a waterproof rain cover for added protection for your camera gear
- Made of high-density waterproof 900d polyester nylon to prevent rips
- Compatible with Sony, Canon, and Nikon DSLRs and photographic accessories
- Needs the included rain cover to provide maximum rain protection
Neewer Pro Camera Case
Every photographer knows how important protecting their camera gear is. Fortunately, the Neewer Pro Camera Case camera backpack is here to help. Featuring an easy-to-use, three-dial digit combination lock, this bag will work hard to protect your most valuable cameras and accessories no matter where you’re heading.
Made from layers of durable material, this bag will hold up to even the most intense wear and tear. To protect your gear during all that exploring, the backpack also features a layer of shock-proof sponge, which shields your camera from bumps and impact.
- Includes a TSA-approved combination lock, zip tie secures for each of the bag’s zippers, and a hidden security whistle
- Ergonomic design
- Despite all its security measures, this bag still manages to look sleek enough to double as a standard backpack
- Heavier than some other bags on the list
- Can be bulky when fully packed
- Location of straps can make camera access cumbersome
Altura sling backpack
If you’re looking for a small, compact camera bag, the Altura sling backpack is the best option out there. Equipped with rapid side access openings that allow you to grab your camera without opening the entire bag, this sling backpack also offers padded dividers that hold your camera equipment neatly and securely.
The sling is large enough to hold extra lenses or an external flash and compact enough to swing the bag onto the front of your body for extra security in busy transit stations or urban areas.
Despite the small profile, the Altura sling is roomy
Customizable interior features removable padding
Made of weather-resistant nylon and sturdy, reinforced stitching
Padded straps are adjustable for comfort
Interior layout is not as intuitive as larger bags
Does not offer storage space for anything other than camera equipment
Get Greenlight in your inbox.
It's not every other newsletter. It's every other week, four minutes long, and just for small businesses.