Technically a collection of web-based apps, Google Workspace (formerly GSuite) is a set of essential tools for any freelance writer. Whether it’s writing (Docs), creating invoices (Sheets), communicating with clients and editors (Gmail), organizing your workflow (Calendar), sharing your portfolio (Drive), or doing deep research (Scholar), Google has a free, high-quality solution for you. Most of Google’s various apps have mobile counterparts that offer varying degrees of useability. Overall, if there’s one thing on this list you absolutely must have, it’s the Google toolbox.
- Free-to-use software
- Industry-wide recognition and trust
- Supports countless useful plugins
- Responsive and helpful 24/7 support
- Some of Google’s apps don’t stack up to their competitors. Prime example: Google Meet vs. Microsoft Zoom
- Certain apps (Docs, Sheets) can be difficult to use for anything beyond reading files on mobile
App Store rating: Various